View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
Skarg

Default Re: Charging and Trampling vs. Pole Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I didn't watch the video either, but this sounds like a problem that arose through intentionally reading the most broken possible interpretation into the text. Given the wording and intent of the pole weapon and pike rules in charge situations, it seems obvious that the charging horsemen should be subjected to one attack from any properly set pole weapon against which they have charged, but that if they survive this they will get to do all the suggested things - push backs, entry into HTH, etc.
Well, while I agree that I personally would tend to want to use the Pike rules and apply them to ordinary polearms in these cases, I would say that it would be up to the GM to notice the issue and come up with that if they hadn't thought of it before.

It seems to me from obsessively watching TFT forums for the last year or so that not many GMs seem to be aware of the Push rules, the trample rules, the pike rules or the mounted combat rules.

It's not a special interpretation Henry has used in this case, and it is a fairly major gap in the rules, created by the conflict of having the Push rules take place during movement, but polearms (except pikes) acting during action, which is after movement. The pike rules show a way to handle people moving into polearm reach without being engaged, but don't say to do it for the non-pike cases where that also happens (i.e. Pushes, and other moves that ignore engagement or don't result in engagement due to the size and/or speed of the mover).

BTW, it also points to a standard way to handle "you don't engage me" house rules.

And if you don't allow it, illogical abuses can occur.

On the other hand, RAW Push itself often isn't all that bad unless you miss one or both of your DX rolls when being pushed. It also often just allows the people you're trying to trample to step around you and/or attack you from the side.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote