View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #20
Skarg

Default Re: Misc. Spell questions

Hcobb, you are good at spell questions! You're probably a fun person to have playing wizards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
If I may ask the question slightly differently.

ITL p 20 Dispel Missiles "aimed at the spell’s subject"

So this spell offers no protection against accidental hits from missiles that weren't intended to hit the subject, correct?
Good technical wording question, and interesting to rule that way, but I would assume that is not the actual intention of the spell. Probably worth an errata to clarify that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Are ITL pg 20 Summon Scout and ITL pg 21 Staff to Snake "real animals" for the purposes of ITL pg 21 Control Animal and ITL pg 28 Telepathy (T)?

If you control a wizard's staff like this, can you make it explode, or lie to him?
I think Summon Scout you can definitely control with Control Animal like any other summoned animal, in which case though you've just got yourself a summoned scout, and the original summoner just loses contact with it.

I don't see any indication that a Staff To Snake snake is anything other than an animal, except for its "occult damage" and dual existence as a staff. So I think you could Control Animal it. In theory you could use Telepathy on it. Though Telepathy requires touch, I do not think snakes explode or do "pick up" damage unless/until they turn back into a staff. Also that snake probably knows even less than a natural snake, since it just came into existence for the spell. "Suddenly I was here, and I was compelled to slither over there and zap someone with this occult attack I can somehow do. Then you grabbed me. Hi."

I imagine a similar sort of conversation if you use Telepathy to interrogate someone's Summon Scout rat, except it would probably know where it came from so you might be able to figure out what it means and find the general way back to where it was summoned.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote