View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 06:40 PM   #81
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: Ogre Minis Revision Issue: Mark VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
And taking out the road would be the #1 priority for any unit close enough to the Mark VII to be able to do so. Remember, a unit automatically cuts the road in its hex if it chooses to attack it, and faced with an advancing Mk VII taking out your own roads is infinitely move valuable than leaving them intact. Even if it ends up being a suicide mission for some.
Agreed, but making it a QuickSet BPC road adds to the defense value of the road and couldn't be auto-cut. It would be more difficult to X requiring an attack roll.
All those units tied up attacking their own infrastructure to deny an approaching enemy the use of their road network sounds like a fun battle to me. But that would only be in a Scenario if the MARK7 were attacking, which it seems it would be better suited as a defensive unit in it's own field using it's own road network...of QuickSet BPC.

Quote:
Ogre weapons do not get a bonus to hit simply because they're Ogre-controlled.
The exception here is a Howitzer equipped on an OGRE. That's not a standard OGRE weapon. It could be argued it's a wash and there is no difference because the OGRE operational portion is just taking the place of the manned portion. I prefer to have a actual difference that the OGRE operated weapon is superior to a non-OGRE operated one of the same kind and this is represented in-game somehow.

Which just got me thinking...MBs and SBs can be Emplaced Weapons in a Fortification. Are they operated by a OGRE AI or manned? I'm thinking they would be manned. Which raises the question again, would MB and SB weapons be the same stats if they are equipped on an OGRE or Emplaced? This can only mean yes. There is no difference other than the OGRE AI on a OGRE is replacing the manned portion of the Emplaced OGRE weapons. Which suggests a Howitzer is the same. Maybe the extra range (if allowed) of the Howitzer is saying it's the OGRE AI that gives it this better range. It's the same Howitzer as the non-OGRE sort, just the OGRE is more effective at using it. maybe Range 8 + 2 = Range 10.

Quote:
I have no issue with this, but generally the only effect a CP has is that the loss of one can have negative impact. However making them a CP only adds to the likelihood of targeting strategic assets at one, which doesn't really help your argument.
Making it be a CP also really only adds to the VP for the enemy at the end of the game if it's totally fragged and they can score the Xed CP, so yeah, that's sort of meh. But if this CP gave some sort of bonus mechanic somehow, it would be more interesting.

CMs are able to be shot down and that chance increases the more weapons can be used against them. That's the question. Where and when are CMs most effectively used to get the most out of the cost spent to use them.
Will a equal number be more or less effective vs a MARK7 or against an equivalent value of other units?
Is there a better chance a MARK7 can shoot them down because it's a single target or is there a better chance an equivalent value of other units can?
I'm thinking the MARK7 has the advantage here because the CMs are forced to target a single target and all the weapons on the MARK7 attack to defend whereas an equivalent value of other units is generally more targets spread out, which reduces ranges to optimally make attacks against the incoming CMs.

This is also not considering if the MARK7 has Anti-CM jamming technology which would make it even more viable.

Quote:
I think the Mk VII is relegated to the annals of historical Ogre debates about whether it was a worthwhile idea or not..
Agreed. It's always fun to explore the concept though.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 08-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote