View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 PM   #14
Grayscale

Default Re: Combining GURPS and Hackmaster combat system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Anyway. If the topic of combat timing interests you, I have an old three-part article, beginning here, that looks at how different game systems approach the topic. The article may not give you anything useful, but it is relevant to this thread: it briefly discusses a theoretical action-point system that's really the same thing as Hackmaster's "count up", including a version I actually used long ago (again, essentially the same as "count up", though I used randomly-rolled attack speeds).
Thanks for the reply! I found your article very interesting! Looking up on your GLAIVE model, you pretty much modeled my desired weapon speed with the recovery time column in the sample table at the end of the article (you also go into much more detail). Though I think I'd like to have more inter-spaced attacks than what you rules seem to wield (I believe it would help fixing one of the issues you mention about a character that is 50 yards away reaching the conflict zone with combat over already).

I was inclined to assign a flat speed number to a weapon and then a bonus based on ST, say Short Sword: Speed 3 (meaning one attack every 3 seconds, so second 1, 4, so on). For comparison, a short sword in Hackmaster has an attack speed of 8, though that is modified by strenght and character level, which is something GURPS does not have, and I am unwilling to add advantages or such to increase attack speed (so much lower speeds are warranted, IMO.)

Maybe I could use your recovery values and work them through some constant to give me some values in the ball park I have in mind? Maybe your recovery divided by half ST, rounded up?

Now, I should only need to come up with recovery times for spells and maybe tweak, for balance, the reload time for firearms like old pistols and muskets, eg: in the vanilla system, a crossbow can fire every 5 turns - a 1 to 5 ratio compared to non ready weapons (which shouldn't be too hard, though I have yet read on Spells). Though I don't know what I would do about modern guns, if I ever wished to use them. Perhaps I should not tweak their rules at all, as they are have a much faster "attack speed" in real life.

I should also decide how maneuvers impact weapon speed. Again, seems doable.

One could say that in my case, having yet to play the vanilla game, I shouldn't be worried about tweaking so heavily, but this idea seem to enticing to give up.

As always, any ideas are appreciated.
Grayscale is offline   Reply With Quote