View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
philosophyguy

Default Re: Rules and hints for improvisation and creativity in combat situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
Yes, some kind of eyeballing is required though I'd like to have a _base_ for that to roughly get the right dimension. Assuming that the above detailed calculation by McAllister (result: 12d) is much better, your estimation would be way off, so maybe we can find a way to improve our guesses...?
Well, I got my estimate by thinking that I wanted the blow to knock someone unconscious. I usually have combats end when the antagonist goes unconscious, so that's good enough for my purposes.

However, let's say that you play a game in which you require unconsciousness checks. In that case, lethal damage is 60 HP for an average human (10 HP plus 5x10 HP below zero). 12d is about 42 damage on average - not quite automatic insta-kill, but pretty close and certainly enough to threaten death with all the saving throws and penalties required. So, if your mental image of the stone is "heavy enough to kill someone," then 12d is a fair estimate.

In my ballparking damage post, I used the GURPS log progression up to 15 damage. The next steps would be 20 damage (6d), 30 (8d), 50 (14d), and 70 (20d). Anything in the 30-70 range (or 8d to 20d) could credibly threaten death in a single impact.
philosophyguy is offline   Reply With Quote