View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 07:22 AM   #17
GodBeastX

Default Re: RPG Jutsu - GURPS Content for Ninjas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
Okay, this set some synapses firing in my brain, and I think I may have come up with something that has a similar effect, but maybe works a little better and fits the existing rules a bit better. I'm not sure, but see what you think.

Basically when I saw Armor Points, before I read the article I made the connection to Impulse Points/Destiny Points/whatever you want to call them. After reading it I think you could treat Armor Points as Impulse Points granted by armor, and restricted to appropriate actions. Buying defenses is the obvious one, but most of the options you list would be appropriate.

You could even have options for using Armor Points when you don't have them, but this grants your opponent Armor Points to use against you, or possibly the GM to buy failure on your rolls. This seems to model the kind of back and forth situation you get in a lot of cinematic fights.

Don't know, needs fleshing out, but I quite like it.
I could see them becoming a point pool where people pay for various effects on the fly. That could be an interesting feature too where maybe you choose when your armor matters. In that sense it almost could be like a trump card that nobody remembers in the movie until it becomes important.

Like Lord of the Rings Frodo had the Mythril Armor on and then his PC decides "Yup, I got this armor on, I'm gonna spend a point and say it affects that attack there". That's very Cinematic, I like it.

For me, however, I feel it might be a little too much book keeping for my players I work with. When you have "Consumables" they have a tendency to hold onto them until there is no other choice.