View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
JHDude

Default Re: New combat helper program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celti View Post
I'd be careful about exactly what you automate, here. Implementing something that helps avoid tedium and errors of human memory is great. Implementing something that lets you play GURPS without needing the rules (because it embodies the rules in its code) is not.
Yeah, it's a fine line I'd have to walk. I'm thinking of at least having some options so that users can turn on and off particular automations as a way to get around this somewhat. Don't want it rolling for you? Turn that off. Don't want to use rule XYZ? Turn it off.

So, some examples of how this helper would work:
The party is exploring a smoky ruin. Player "Jim" trips and falls in the smoke, and lands in some fire. The GM tells the helper that Jim has just taken fire damage. If Jim's character isn't put into the helper (Jim wants to use pencil and paper), the helper asks if Jim is wearing flammable armor. If so, the GM can specify the armor type, and where it was hit, and the helper returns both Jim's damage and the armor damage. Or, if the GM doesn't want to track armor damage, he can shut that option off in the config files.

Say some mooks show up. Jim is still dealing with a hot seat, so Bob decides to step in. Bob's character runs forward and stabs at a mook's vitals. Bob's character is in the helper (he likes his techie toys), so the helper tells him what roll he needs to make in order to succeed, and prompts him to either have the helper roll, or enter a number he rolls on the table. After a death glare from Jim, he rolls on the table and the GM puts the number in. The GM also adds in a modifier that he thinks befits the smoke in the room.

Now, if Bob gets lucky, he might just hit that mook. The GM has already created mook templates for the helper to use, and so the helper knows what options the mook can use to defend himself. The helper will indicate to the GM each action the mook can take to defend (block, parry, dodge), and the probabilities of succeeding on said rolls. If the GM wants to be tough on his players he can have the mook make the smartest decision. Or he could play the mook as a total derp.

Basically, I want this thing to wave away a lot of the "boilerplate". All information that players need to do combat is right there in front of them. Useful info always at your fingertips.
JHDude is offline   Reply With Quote