View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 03:56 AM   #42
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Shock should always apply, I agree. Applying the injury taken as a penalty to PIF sounds wrong. What if you're an elephant with 40 HP? Will any injury stop you from spending FP?
Resistance is Futile doesn't seem like it actually prevents you from spending FP, just encourages roleplaying inaction/recovery for an unspecified time. An elephant at 39/40 HP just seems less compromised than the cat with 3/4 HP in terms of applying a Will penalty based purely on total lost HP.

Quote:
This makes first blood very powerful.
Against those who end up burning an FP and need to make the roll, yeah.

Quote:
On the other hand, Partial injury doesn't apply any penalty at all to HT rolls, only to FP rolls. And the double dipping feels very wrong.
Partial Injury defines DX penalties which occur at intervals equal to fractions of max HP and are even smaller (~1 per 33%) than shock (~1 per 10%) when scaled to larger HP.

Quote:
This is a big enough issue to start a thread on the main forum, I think.

Quote:
I'd like to use the don't bother rolling roll for PIF at 17+. I don't like crit-fishing, because crits are the part of the curve least like the true bell curve.
It's kinda odd how the crit-fishing barrier is different for the 2 rolls though eh?

Quote:
I strenously disagree. I swam the 500 yard freestyle and ran cross country in high-school. Being able to technically move but having a strong urge to do nothing is very very real. The +5 bonus applies, but if you are pushing yourself too hard, you will hit a mental wall long before you hit a physical one.
Right but the physical wall for ultimate performance is presumably running into negative FP, not merely burning 1 and feeling an incentive to pause. Of course, doing maximum speed movement could burn through full AP (burning several FP to reset it) pretty quickly.

Velocity/Momentum rules for swimming should maybe be a little different than running too, in terms of AP spent on maintaining full move.

Quote:
There is a school of thought in which missed attacks don't even involve a swing: they looked for an opportunity and didn't see one, or the started one and the opponent showed the ability to counter, so they didn't swing. And the expert countering the novice's wild attacks with minimal effort is a trope and a classic.
I remember that thread, but "did I expend the ammo" or "did I throw the spell" really does require solving whether or not you took the swing.

I'm a little disgruntled at just how directly such a ruling would support your current tactics.

Quote:
I do not find that criticals are a significant part of the game, and the .01 MoS really effect deceptive attacks, which are a major part of high-skill play.
Deceptive attacks can also be "speedy" attacks, attacking at weird/inefficient angles, kinda makes sense they'd take more energy to do. If each 0.2 more you pay on average costs the defender 0.2 more on average it would balance out. Some kind of IQ-based "I'm just better at timing" mitigation of AP would make sense though. I wonder if taking the "Feint" route to that could work better.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote