View Single Post
Old 12-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
43Supporter

Default Re: Applying Linked Weapon Damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
Also shows how crazy the original rules were
Not "crazy" -- just that certain aspects of damage vary with what's being hit.

For ex.: When armor is straight ablative, it doesn't matter whether the hits come individually, or in volleys -- 30 points of damage, is 30 points of damage. When Metal armor came along, one had the problem of it being not straight ablative; what mattered was "how many points of damage each shot did", and "what sort of damage was it" (Burst, or Area, Effect) -- so the hits had to be broken-out individually. (For our part: We totaled up how many points were rolled, then applied it as one lump-sum; one might not penetrate the armor with massed fire, but one *could* shove a target around....)

Quote:
Oh, and originally you could only link 2 identical weapons and aim and fire them together, but then they allowed you to link as many as you wanted.
Well, when Links were first written, no one ever thought to try linking 3+ weapons -- usually there wasn't room. Then some lunatic decided to take the _Hotshot_ MG Option to its logical [?] extreme and put *six* MGs on a Lux.... >:)

Quote:
Compare being hit with 3 linked SAMs (D3) vs. 3 individual SAMs (3 D3s=D9) and you'll see what I mean.
See above -- it depended on how one handled the D-hazards from weapons hits. For ex.: In my groups, if all three SAMs hit in the same phase, the points were totaled, and applied as a lump-sum. If they hit in different phases (which required each being fired by a separate Gunner with a discrete firing-action), only then would they be broken out separately.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote