View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 08:08 AM   #8
Tywyll

Default Re: Conan the Wizard...is it a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I'm talking about the fundamental nature of a character changing. Elric never got stronger in the stories, although he certainly changed, and, regardless of how much Frodo adventured, he was never going to be as strong as Boromir. For a real-world example, regardless of how much dedicate myself to getting stronger, my frame will never allow me to be as strong any NFL player; I'm just too small. So, I'm not talking about a character who starts the game an 18-year-old ST 9 wizard advancing to ST 10 or 11 by the time they are 2 years older with some adventures undert their belt. Rather, I'm talking about their advancing up to levels that should be far beyond the reach of someone like them.
True about some characters from fiction, but I would say that Frodo's ST did improve (because it also represents Health and Fatigue). Conan didn't really improve either, but then character's from pulp, while being the inspiration for D&D and rpgs in general, aren't characters that really change much in the way of narrative arcs.

I don't know, I expect characters to change and improve when I play them. Zero to Hero and all that.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote