View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #6
Tywyll

Default Re: Conan the Wizard...is it a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I don't think it is an issue, except when a wizard conceived of as weak or average becomes super strong over the course of adventures, since that kind of advancement undermines the character concept. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the bruiser wizard. TFT's supporting building the character you want is part of what wooed me away from D&D all those decades ago.
See that's the part that confuses me...the idea that players have a concept that they don't expect to evolve over the course of play. I mean, sure, maybe your wizard started out weak or average, but they also probably started out with less IQ as well. As you get more powerful, your abilities improve, including your physical ability to cast more potent spells. Your weakling works out and gets strong so they can better channel magic (or they don't spend attribute points on ST in which case they are fast and smart but with little magical stamina which is a reasonable build I guess).

But the complaint that your concept changed over the course of play... I mean, all characters change. A 1st level X isn't still the same person by level 10 in any system.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote