View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
Tywyll

Default Conan the Wizard...is it a problem?

This mostly deals with the original ‘issue’ per the old rules system. The new xp system ‘fixes’ this ‘problem’ for the most part.

I have seen a lot of people mention and complain about the ‘Conan the Wizard’ effect of high strength wizards. And I’ve wondered…why is this such an issue? Most people seem to complain something around the point that the wizard should be frail and weak compared to fighters and I had to stop and ask myself, why do they believe that?

It seems to me that most old myths and early fantasy story doesn’t present wizards as particularly frail. Gandalf fights in many melee battles (yes, I know he’s an angel, but that wasn’t how he was presented in the Hobbit). Merlin didn’t fight alongside knights, but as I remember the earlier myths he was only presented as frail due to age, not magic use (and certainly his foes were not old and frail). Norse Rune Casters are mostly Viking warriors as well (not to mention Berserkers). Shaman in native cultures also tend to be hunters as well, not frail fainting flowers. While the wizards in Conan stories were weaker than Conan, who wasn’t? Also of course their weakness served a philosophical agenda. Elric was weak from a birth defect, and needed either drugs or Stormbringer for the strength to cast his spells (when he bothered). So why this seemingly ubiquitous desire for frail magicians?

The only thing I can come up with is D&D and its expectations. Magic-Users are weak, just look at that d4 HP! Though even this ignores that Wizards in D&D could still have an 18 Str or Con (though admittedly depending on the edition it might not benefit a wizard as much as a fighter-which maps to TFT because without a lot of talent points for a weapon skill).

I kind of like that TFT wizards are physically capable instead of being a D&D trope. I like that they are robust and tough. It creates a different setting with different expectations and I think that’s cool.
Tywyll is offline   Reply With Quote