View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #56
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

I wish the economy was doing better in the states and that any improvement translated into more game sales.
I've worked on games in good and bad economic times, and I've never seen evidence that the economy influences games sales much. My personal theory is that when times are tough, money is tighter but games offer entertainment people can afford, while when times are good, people have more money but spend less on games because they can afford more extravagant recreations. The effects cancel out, leading to a sort of homeostasis.

I attribute the sag in sales of rules-medium to -heavy tabletop RPGs of the traditional Rule Zero variety to a change in what the market wants. In the digital era, more and more people play games that (1) leave rules to computers, (2) have cool graphics, and (3) allow them to game online, which makes a much larger community of potential gamers available. This doesn't necessarily pull people away from tabletop games, but it does slant interest toward games with fewer rules and better visuals, and that support more-casual play.

Quote:

As for your stuff personally, I feel for you but applaud the positive attitude.
Thank you.

Quote:

When things are bad I choose to remind myself they could always be worse and a lot of people do have it worse than I do.
That attitude also helps you as more people enjoy being around you and your wasting less energy on things you cant help.
Yep. I needed therapy to figure that out, but now that I'm aware of it, I give thanks for the positive, try not to dwell on the negative, march toward the future, and do my best to help friends and acquaintances do the same.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote