View Single Post
Old 04-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #59
(E)

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
This is interesting, and very different from how it's done, around here.
Snip
It's a bit of change in orientation between the two systems, one seems based off "I have some land, what will you pay for it?" And the other is "I have some animals, what do you want for grazing them"

The closest equivalent around here would be dry matter per hectare calculations though they are starting to be superseded by various metabolic calculations.

Every country has their own way of calculating things, I had a look at the American system when the Oregon rancher thing was going on out of curiosity about how subsidized or not the system was and then got looking at the Australian system, Canadian, Argentinian. . . .

The other big calculations are how fast animals gain weight. For beef a good grass system might produce a kg per day weight gain. A good feed lot might do 5 times that. Anyway it is far to easy to digress.

When calculating the feed conversion of meat animals the other major factor to include is carcass yield (call it 50% for game terms, but generally higher in non Ruminant animals). From memory the calculation for pork I ended up with for Grey Island was 400kgs of food to produce a 70kg carcass.

You did remind me that I have to be more specific in some of these posts though. That said my eyeball of the numbers seemed to fit.

Next example is taking a while, I'm trying to figure out a bit more detail for a homestead and some chemistry to go with it.

Last edited by (E); 04-22-2016 at 01:28 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote