View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
KarlKost

Default Re: Funding semi-realistic monster hunters

Ok, let me share a little of my taking on the matter. To me, any scenario of "Monsters Hunters", is basically Urban Fantasy but with Secrecy and Conspiracy. That's something like World of Darkness (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage) - but better than that mess of White Wolf.

Why? Simple. The setting is the modern world (you can play medieval age, or ancient Egypt, or whatever, but it will be another game, not MH). The existence of monsters are a secret - otherwise, why haven't humanity declared an all-out war on the beasts?

Anyway, imho, no setting like this can work without a Men In Black -like conspiracy. Why? It's simple: without some group to keep the monsters hidden from public knowledge, the only thing that would make the monsters secret would be... Themselves. But, if the monsters were to remain secret by their own accord, there is only one reason why they would do it - they understand that humanity is dangerous. But, if they perceive how dangerous humanity really is... They would be sure to take steps to control humanity. And, without anyone to stop them...

The logical conclusion is, if left unchecked, the monsters became the rulers of the world. Humanity becomes mere puppets in their hands, and in that case, no hunter would exist for long - and probably, the monsters themselves would hunt down any one of their kind too showy. So, there would be no reason for hunters to "be born".

So, the ONLY way to make such a setting (IMO), is having one (perhaps several!) agency of Men In Black.

But... Why don't the MiB make the monsters existence public and put the entire humanity into an all-out hunt against them? Wouldn't that be more effective than trying to hunt on the shadows?

Well, two things. First of all: panic. Spreading panic could tear civilization apart.

But that's clearly not enough... Because such panic could be manageable. There is no garantee that the revelation would turn civilization into a wastland.

So, the second reason is... Yeah, the monsters may be rare. Even incredible rare. As they must remain hidden to survive, I dont expect that they would live on nests with hundreds of them. It would be too big of a target.

But, in the case of an all out war...

You see, vampires and werewolves can infect humans. So, as long as they think that they can live on the shadows, they'll take care. They'll play safe.

But, if war breaks out... All bets are of. They would be in despair. And their ONLY option would be... To fight back.

That means, turning entire cities into vampires. Capturing hundreds to thousands of humans, turning them all, and unleashing them against their former friends.

It would be the end world.

So, any MiB agency understands that they MUST keep the secret. They hunt from the shadows too, in this endless game of cat and rat. Its the ultimate game, and the only option.
KarlKost is offline   Reply With Quote