View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
trooper6

Default Re: GURPS: xxxxx Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by D351 View Post
Yeah, I've tried it with limited success. It's been like pulling teeth to get them to settle on a concept. It's ironic. If I'd picked a system with limited options, they'd settle for anything within those options, but because GURPS has such openness, they want to have all of those options on the table, which means digging through the book for hours, then complaining about how long it takes to make a character.
Before you ask them for a concept, you have to give a really clear campaign frame. At least that is what I do, and it works out swimmingly. For example, I never say: It's a fantasy game set in Greyhawk, what's your concept? That is never going to work well...because you havn't given the players anything to go on.

Instead, I might say. This is a fantasy campaign where you all are going to be connected in some way to the minor noble house of the Baron Von Duffy. It is a poor Barony on the edge of the Kingdom, but strategically important because it guards the West Gate...a gate that blocks the mountain pass that separates then the Kingdom from the evil Spider Dominion. The neighboring Barony, Baron von Doom, has long wanted to annex your barony...but the King has always blocked him. However, the King is currently ill, if he dies, a new King will be elected from among the Barons...and Baron Von Doom is the favorite...at least at the moment. This campaign will have dungeon crawling as well as diplomacy and politics. Who will you be and how will shape the future of the Barony and the Kingdom!

Then, without the books even being open I just start asking them questions and remind them of possibilities. They can be a son or daughter of the Baron...a bastard of the Baron. They can be captain of the guard. Baronial huntsman. Head Cleric...I get them to see the sort of possibilities then let them go at it. But they will rarely come up with something good, if you haven't given them a really good hook/frame. Once, one of them comes up with an idea, then we flesh it out through questions, and hopefully other players will jump in. So one player says he wants to play the Baron's oldest child and heir...a knightly daughter. Perfect in everything. Then another player says that he wants to play the younger child, a son, who the Baron likes better. I ask leading questions...and only after the players have developed the concepts do we open the books...then it doesn't take that long at all...because you don't need to go through long lists anymore.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote