View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #37
b-dog

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I can't disagree with that, but I'd like to point out that it's not modeled on just the Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric! In particular, the moral code is wide open -- you just have to take at least -10 points in "religious disadvantages," which can model literally any faith. And the miracles are drawn from Islam, Hindu, Native American, and several other beliefs. I actually did a fair bit of research when coming up with the miracles that felt right, and only a portion of that research was Biblical.

tl;dr version: Divine Favor tries to be close to real-world concepts of a holy cleric, but not that of any one particular religion.
But to me what makes it cool is that it is close a real world cleric. A cleric of Islam, Hindu, and Christian religions would all be fun to play. Using cross to turn a vampire is better than using a sacred tire iron of some made up religion for the game atmosphere to me. Plus the holy items found while dungeon delving are cool if they are from some real world religion. Somehow GURPS Banestorm, Cabal and Innomine were able to take real world religions and add them to the gamecworld and not create a huge uproar while almost all dungeon delving games avoid them like the plague. I know DF is supposed to be devoid of any setting assumptions but most of the stuff is from real world myths and legends with a coat of paint covering it. Instead of having the evil cleric worship the demon lord Chroing the Nasty just go for the real thing and have the evil cleric worship the Devil.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote