View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #65
ImperialOne

Default Re: GURPS PDFs: What e-Book/e-reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Democritus View Post
I haven't read through this entire thread. But I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

The iPad is EXCELLENT for reading game rule PDFs. Up until I bought it last year, I had been wondering what sort of e-reader I would get. Using a laptop for reading PDFs was useful but cumbersome. I tried the Kindle but it is good for reading books but not for reading reference materials like game books. I had been paying close attention to the news about the then-unreleased iPad. But I could not make a decision until I actually tried one out in a Best Buy store.

The iPad is exactly what I've been wanting for the last 30 years. And GoodReader is the app to buy for it. You can search documents and use links embedded within them. I've noticed that in many PDF rule e-books there are direct links in the table contents. But it can be taken a step further with cross-reference links such as "see page 47 for rules on such-and-such." And, of course, index links.

I won't try to defend Apple as a company. All I'll say is that the iPad is a good product. Very shortly there will be other touchpad devices that will compete with it. And perhaps they will be cheaper and better.
I HATE Apple, but I must admit that their iphones, iPads, etc. are all excellent devices whose abilities, features, and reliability will not be matched by others (hey, its designed as a closed system).

An iPad and GoodReader are the best combination
ImperialOne is offline   Reply With Quote