View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: pyramid 3-41 - Fantasy World Building

Turning Points of History.
Skimmed rather then really digested. Its that kind of topic. I would have liked the rolls to be on a table rather then mixed with all the text. Would have made it easier to use but I know it would have used up more word count.
Its pretty versatile and goes into a lot of possible details and options. Would be useful in a world building toolbox.

Shadow Runners.
Well the idea is nice, though not totally original it covers the concept well. However I think it went into too much detail and it felt more like my hand was being held.

EM: God is Dead
I liked this one and it is the kind of thing I like, a nice seed of ideas rather then a specific course. As I was reading it I was looking for ways to inject it into my cosmology which is based on an Apocalypse of Gods.
More then that though I was thinking of myths where Gods were imprisoned or put out of action temporarily.
I wish that had been suggested in there as it is something that can lead to a lot of possibilities. Mythology is rife with such stories and an epic campaign might have them as an ongoing thing rather then ancient history.
This could fit in well with The Duodecennial Deviations article later in the issue.

In the Jungle
Cool idea, lot of info to implement it as well. Might be too long, might not be.
But I will be building something using it that is for sure.

The Gnomish Mafia
Nice article but not my cup of tea. However it can be dropped into most fantasy campaigns pretty easily and has some nice NPC ideas that are ready to go.

The Children of the Coming Darkness
Nice campaign seed but not really what I was expecting to find in this issue.
Unfortunately most stuff like this wont be as useful to me as I have a totally different world. Ideas are better for my taste then fleshed out material.
But that is just me, others it can be a big time saver.

The Duodecennial Deviations
Nice idea and good workout and example of it. I do not anticipate using it directly but it fits an idea I had for an earlier campaign and expands on it with many more possibilities. I just made modifications to magic and skills corresponding to elemental and a few Divine things.
This goes much farther then that.
I wont use it as is as it does not fit any of the worlds I have built but thisis where all the detailed descriptions help. It gives us good ideas that can be twisted :)

Spirits in Everyday Life
The kind of thing I bought GURPS Religion for :)
Which makes it great for the issues theme. Focused more on ghosts and Undead then I would have preferred but it covered a lot of cultures pretty well. And hard to see how you could have done much more in a Pyramid article.

Random Thought Table and Odds and Ends
Cute kinda fluffy but interesting examples and ideas.

The best article for my use on this one is either the EM: God is Dead or the Jungle canopy one. Though I got something out of all of them.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote