View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #25
Skarg

Default Re: Bestiary of Cidri

My suggestion would be to go for quality over quantity of entries.

Guy, you say you want it to be useful to us, and you say you will include the monsters in ITL, so hopefully the descriptions will be better developed than the ones in ITL.

How so? Well, while I like and am attached to the classic ITL monster descriptions, they tend to be short on detail and things that make them not just stat blocks with maybe one or two added qualities. There are no counters (counters for all creatures would be great to have) for most of them and no facing diagrams for creatures that might not be standard sizes & shapes and facing effects.

There are also a few things that it seems to me want tweaking in general. For example, falling down. It seems to me that probably most animals with 4+ legs might tend not to stumble as easily, nor take as long to get back up, as humanoids would - maybe they should not lose an entire turn when they fall but be able to stand back up on their next action. And the effects of injury brackets only have three categories, the top of which is 25 points of damage to knock down a ST 50+ creature. (The old TFT FM Screen had more categories, and in general I'd suggest upping the thresholds for big creatures a GM might not want to flop over... an average human takes 80% damage before they get knocked down.) Also the relative abilities of some creatures might want revising, such as 4-hex dragons having the ST of a bear and the claw damage of a ST 10 man with a sabre.

A section on variation of individual creatures might be good, too.

Also good/useful would be info like what terrain/biomes creatures live in, their diet, what you can do with their bodies (food, skins, etc), how big their social groups are, tactics, their alertness/senses, when they'd attack or flee, what time of day they're active, other behavior notes, how much they weigh, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote