View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #30
Ts_

Default Re: Blunt Trauma and Skulls

As asked earlier in this thread:
What if your only rigid DR is ablative innate DR, below some heavy chainshirt? With the "rigid first" rule, it prevents the blunt trauma damage, but doesn't really stop the damage because it's the last line of defense and players would cry if you reduce their ablative DR "because of the blunt trauma rules".

Also mentioned earlier:
Rigid DR 1 tin can over or under the DR 5 chainshirt ... Should those really behave the same way when hit with a sling shot (5 cr) that can be stopped by the chainshirt causing 1 blunt trauma in principle? The "rigid first" rule says that there is 0.8 blunt trauma (which of course, due to the scale, is rounded to 0 injury). The layered approach makes that exactly 0.

I dunno. I can take the easy "rigid first" solutions and it won't come up with ablative DR in any of my games most likely, but it bothers me. If in the end, flexible is too cheap, then one could just fix that ... -10% would still seem appropriate.

And I don't buy into the "bouncing within your rigid shell" idea. It describes concussions quite well. But then one should also take blunt trauma, if one has DR 5 on the skull and none of it is flexible, which is simply not the case in GURPS.

Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote