View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
Cthugha

Default Re: Help me With a My little Pony Templates..and maybe some other help.

A few general thoughts.

Base ST may be as high as ST 18 (large pony in the Basic set) and probably as low as 7-8 for the smallest breeds. It may be reasonable to assign them ST 10 (since they are _little_ ponies, and to keep it simple) but you should keep in mind possibility of assigning them other ST values.

Assigning HT 11 will make them closer to real ponies and also explain (partly) increased heartiness

They are able to run pretty fast, not unlike real horses, so like real pony in the Basic all of them should have Enhanced Move 1(Ground).

Now to steal a few things from Bio-tech, which are suggested for uplifted animals:

Horizontal disadvantage will make many actions impossible. To carry things while moving, stand on their hind legs and use both to manipulate objects, ponies should probably have semi-upright.

While ponies definitely do not have No Fine Manipulators they may rate one or two levels of Bad Grip (it will make combat with weapons harder, but it may make things more interesting).

back to the general points

Many ponies have used their _tails_ to manipulate objects. It may be possible to explain this as a cartoon shenanigans... or to take it seriously and give them Extra Arm (Extra-flexible, Weak).

Attribute boni: I would advise to keep bonus to IQ and DX for unicorns and pegasi limited to +1. ST bonus for Earth ponies should of course at least +2, and possibly more.

Now about their powers.

I would advise to drop the Magery from all templates. But even if you keep it for unicorns, other two races definitely do not have it. They do not cast spells in the GURPS Magic skill-based fashion.

Earth ponies - it is unclear whether they have any unusual abilities aside from what their cutie mark is telling them. For me it seems that what they all have is increased ST and something or all from: Increased HP, Inreased FP, Increased HT, 1-4 levels of DR(Tough skin). Their supernatural powers are easier to describe as a perk.

Pegasi - I'd say their wings are usually small enough to consider them Small Wings. They have possibility of adding both Basic Move end Enhanced Move (Rainbow Dash, while very fast in general, doesn't seem to have significantly greater Basic Move than other top athletes - but she does have an extra level or two of Enhanced Move). While their ablilty to physically interact with clouds can be described as a perk, creating whirlwinds, producing lightning and rain is significantly more versatile - I would call it Control. I am not sure which kind of Control, but Control(Air) or Control(Weather) _without_ Natural Phenomena seems like possible candidates.

Unicorns - remember that I said to drop the Magery? I meant that for Unicorns as well. It does not look like they are casting spells in the GURPS Magic paradigm. They use their telekinesis constantly and do not become tired in minutes. It also looks like they are more limited by their aptitude (power level, so to speak), then by learning - not only Twilight, but many others are able to learn new spell in short amount of time; and if some feat is beyond reach of some unicorn it is more likely to stand out of that reach forever (barring Alicorn Amulets and such).

It is more reasonable to represent telekinesis as - well - Telekinesis advantage. It should have Cannot affect self (no self-levitation), Visible and possibly Cannot punch limitations; I am not sure about Cannot punch because of "force blasts" that many unicorns seem to use when situations calls for that - since it is used even by untrained unicorns it is easier to assume that this is a "punch" with telekinetic field and not Innate attack. Lowest possible level can be as low as TK 2 - strong enough to lift 3.2 pounds and therefore to manipulate everyday objects and tools. Twilight probably have no less than TK 50; but even low-powered unicorns may have additional enhancements - Increased Range and Area effect seems to be widespread but not ubiquitous.

Other unicorn magic I'd call Modular abilities (probably as AA to their TK, but I am not sure). I have not decided what kind exactly, but they are switchable even without a Concentrate, but are not full Cosmic - you have to research spells first, not whip something appropriate to the situation on a whim.

Last edited by Cthugha; 07-16-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Cthugha is offline   Reply With Quote