Thread: GIN Ultra-Lite
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
dataweaver

Default Re: GIN Ultra-Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Add skill level to characteristic... that's looking like a spread of TN 7 (min char. 6 + skill/1) to TN 26 (assuming max char. 20 + skill/6). IN's got enough cinematicness to it that TN 26 isn't thaaaaat bad. (If we force max char of 18, that'd be be TN 24... maybe not worth it?)

Now, for humans, if we're assuming 5 Forces, call it a 2-2-1 spread...
Corp 2: Str 10, Agi 10
Eth 2: Int 10, Pre 10
Cel 1: Will 8, Per 8.

This is arguably not a bad representation of mundane humans in IN. >_>
If you go with a base of 7 instead of 6, these become:
Corp 2: Str 11, Agi 11
Eth 2: Int 11, Pre 11
Cel 1: Will 9, Per 9.

The average characteristic would be a 10⅓, which is remarkably close to the default of 10 that GURPS uses. If we were allowing fractional Forces (which I wouldn't recommend), we could do something like:

Corp 2: Str 11, Agi 11
Eth 1½: Int 10, Pre 10
Cel 1½: Will 10, Per 10.

Meanwhile, a starting celestial with an even spread would be:
Corp 3: Str 13, Agi 13
Eth 3: Int 13, Pre 13
Cel 3: Will 13, Per 13

That's one point less than the 14 that GIN suggests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
Okay, so, we're divorcing Resource points from Forces. Snicker-snack. How many resource points should we be doing? I pulled 15 out of my hat; celestials will have to buy vessels and extra attunements (if any) from that pool, but they get better characteristics by default so they can just cry me a river.

I think you suggested a "green/experienced/expert" selection in the other thread? That would probably be useful, and it fits with the GURPS idea of different point levels. I'd suggest that as a roleplay thing, these guidelines are usually attached to Time Spent On Earth, but a newly-created celestial could be given a lot of skills by direct Superior implantation -- don't let the designations rule out edge-case character design. (Let the GM rule out edge-case character design! Or not...)
You don't need Time Spent On Earth to pick up Songs or Artifacts; as well, Artifacts and Vessels arguably don't have a time component to their acquisition at all: they're things that you're given (or otherwise acquire) rather than things that have to be developed over time.

Just have the point pool represent overall experience, and leave it up to the GM and/or player to determine how much of that was Time Spent on Earth, how much was Time Spent in Heaven or Hell, and how much represents simply being well-equipped. This also evades the argument that humans ought to have more Resource Points than Celestials: for the average twenty-year-old human, Time Spent On Earth is twenty years (as opposed to starting celestials, who might easily have been on Earth for a year or less).

Quote:
So... What kind of range should be suggested? 5/10/15/20? 10/15/20? 5/15/25?
I've never personally had any complaints about In Nomine's pricing structure for Resources; they're quite simple as is. So why not just use the same Resource costs as normal In Nomine and grant 20 points per stage of experience?

Quote:
Next question is Songs... I think Forces+6+skill is going to make them too easy at the average level -- 3+6+[1-6] = 10-16. Forces+skill gives 4-9, though, for Celestial Average. Forcesx2? 7-12 at average? Lemme chart that out... (Can you tell I'm thinking "out loud" all over this thread?)
1 Force = 2+[1-6] = 3-8. Keep rituals as giving a bonus, and I think this is not an impossible range.
2 Forces = 4+[1-6] = 5-10. Getting better; rituals still useful.
3 Forces = 6+[1-6] = 7-12. Not bad.
4 Forces = 8+[1-6] = 9-14. Still not breaking the game.
5 Forces = 10+[1-6] = 11-16. Starting to be scary, but 5 Forces should be?
6 Forces = 12+[1-6] = 13-18. Definitely alarming, but 6 Forces in IN is 7-12 on 2d6, and 12 is a guaranteed success barring Intervention... So a 6-Force whatever-mutant-thing-this-is{1} celestial is a bit better at skill/1, but isn't cracking out the top at skill/6.
That looks reasonable.

Quote:
{Footnote: 'Cause I don't think it's GIN Ultra-Lite anymore. I think it waved bye-bye at the top of this post.}
We arguably waved bye-bye to GURPS as soon as you dropped HT from the Attributes and added Precision, Mind Hits, and Soul Hits.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote