Thread: GIN Ultra-Lite
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Default Re: GIN Ultra-Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
But how about this: use In Nomine's usual method for determining characteristics, but start your characteristics at 8 instead of 0. You'll get the same sort of numbers as the method you suggested above.
It ditches the GURPS Ultra-Lite's "levels" of stats immediately... Good thing or bad thing?

But, working from that... So you get 4 Characteristic-points per Force to spread between the two characteristics, but start at 8 instead of 0...
1 Force = 10, 10
2 Forces = 12, 12
3 Forces = 14, 14
4 Forces = 16, 16
5 Forces = 18, 18
6 Forces = 20, 20

...I think that starting at 8, but with 4 characteristic-points per Force, is too high. IN celestials can be worse than human-average if they have only 1 Force in a realm, or load their stats weird.

If we're throwing out Ultra-Lite's "levels" of 8, 12, etc., we have the option of keeping 1 Force = 4 Characteristic points, but lowering the baseline to 6, which would do 8,10,12,14,16,18. Would probably have to set a minimum of...7? 6? for a characteristic, and max of... 18? 20?

Quote:
Attribute 8: 1-6 skill levels would be TN 9-14.
Attribute 10: 1-6 skill levels would be TN 11-16.
Attribute 12: 1-6 skill levels would be TN 13-18.
Attribute 14: 1-6 skill levels would be TN 15-20.
MAF IS HARD! I KANT AD! ...Thank you.

Add skill level to characteristic... that's looking like a spread of TN 7 (min char. 6 + skill/1) to TN 26 (assuming max char. 20 + skill/6). IN's got enough cinematicness to it that TN 26 isn't thaaaaat bad. (If we force max char of 18, that'd be be TN 24... maybe not worth it?)

Now, for humans, if we're assuming 5 Forces, call it a 2-2-1 spread...
Corp 2: Str 10, Agi 10
Eth 2: Int 10, Pre 10
Cel 1: Will 8, Per 8.

This is arguably not a bad representation of mundane humans in IN. >_>

Our mundane J. Average here would have most of his skill target numbers on a spread from 11-16, and his Cel-based ones on a spread from 9-14. His celestial counterpart (9 Forces, in 3/3/3 configuration, so 12s) gets a TN spread of 13-18.

That's not bad. I'm not hating that, personally. Celestials are going to generally be better, but a semi-focused mundane can surpass a jack-of-all-trades celestial in his specialty and not be falling on his face all the time.

Okay, so, we're divorcing Resource points from Forces. Snicker-snack. How many resource points should we be doing? I pulled 15 out of my hat; celestials will have to buy vessels and extra attunements (if any) from that pool, but they get better characteristics by default so they can just cry me a river.

I think you suggested a "green/experienced/expert" selection in the other thread? That would probably be useful, and it fits with the GURPS idea of different point levels. I'd suggest that as a roleplay thing, these guidelines are usually attached to Time Spent On Earth, but a newly-created celestial could be given a lot of skills by direct Superior implantation -- don't let the designations rule out edge-case character design. (Let the GM rule out edge-case character design! Or not...)

So... What kind of range should be suggested? 5/10/15/20? 10/15/20? 5/15/25?

Next question is Songs... I think Forces+6+skill is going to make them too easy at the average level -- 3+6+[1-6] = 10-16. Forces+skill gives 4-9, though, for Celestial Average. Forcesx2? 7-12 at average? Lemme chart that out... (Can you tell I'm thinking "out loud" all over this thread?)
1 Force = 2+[1-6] = 3-8. Keep rituals as giving a bonus, and I think this is not an impossible range.
2 Forces = 4+[1-6] = 5-10. Getting better; rituals still useful.
3 Forces = 6+[1-6] = 7-12. Not bad.
4 Forces = 8+[1-6] = 9-14. Still not breaking the game.
5 Forces = 10+[1-6] = 11-16. Starting to be scary, but 5 Forces should be?
6 Forces = 12+[1-6] = 13-18. Definitely alarming, but 6 Forces in IN is 7-12 on 2d6, and 12 is a guaranteed success barring Intervention... So a 6-Force whatever-mutant-thing-this-is{1} celestial is a bit better at skill/1, but isn't cracking out the top at skill/6.

{Footnote: 'Cause I don't think it's GIN Ultra-Lite anymore. I think it waved bye-bye at the top of this post.}