View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Divine Favor- specific Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
This is about the supplement Divine Power.

I was thinking about how to customize the system for specific gods. Making special prayers for each god is one option but I thought - what about making the prayers easier if they fit the God's portfolio?

Take a healing god. Lay on Hands is a Major Miracle. Normally this would take a Reaction Roll of Good or better. But this is a Healing god, so you only need a Reaction Roll of Average or better. But the Healing god is opposed to killing stuff, so the Smite miracle (also a Major Miracle) requires a Reaction Roll of Very Good.

Does that sound workable?
I wouldn't change the required reaction level, as per the listings under General Prayer on p5, and the notes in the Box on New Learned Prayers on p9(in particular read the example notes for Walk on Water at the bottom of that box), the Reaction Level is linked to how miraculous the effects are.

The simpler solution is to adjust the Reaction Roll Modifiers (also p5) for how appropriate the Miracle is for a particular god. e.g. A servant of a God of Healing might get a +2/+3 to the Reaction Roll when asking for a Healing Miracle, and -2/3 if asking for a direct damage miracle.

I have a feeling this sort of affinity modifier is mentioned somewhere, but I've no idea where.

EDIT: See Good and Evil box on p12, "Replace the Divine Favor modifiers (p. 5) for situation and paragon behavior with a simple -4 to +4 depending on the degree to which the miracle would further the evil deity’s interests."

Healing miracles would be considered as furthering the interests of a God of Healing, while Direct Damage miracles would be opposed to them (generally).

Last edited by SCAR; 03-20-2013 at 10:44 AM.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote