View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
Radagan

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Thank you True Believer, but you aren't the average consumer of GURPS (or much of anything else). Completionists are the exception, not the norm. We are the few, the proud, the intensely nerdy. Particularly with a new product which isn't GURPS - DFRPG has only existed for a few months remember. It's a very big ask to expect people newly interested to be fanatical enough to throw all their money at everything available for it immediately.
Actually, I'm hardly a "completionist" or True Believer--I'd be offended, but it's Christmas. I can also see how my last post might have come across that way. I check back on GURPS once or twice a year and see what has come out for it. I admire the system and, as a fiction writer I find it very useful as a plot and character shorthand. It would also be fun to play, but I have a very hard time finding anyone willing to give it a try. When I say I "buy everything" that isn't exactly a big financial investment for someone, unless they are new to the system, in which it would probably be overwhelming. A year's releases of GURPS is probably under $100, adding another $50 to pick-up the Pyramids might you want. You can easily spend that on Pathfinder or D&D in a single adventure arc. I don't, but you could, and I know plenty of nerds that do. ;^)

A pdf has no inventory or cost of sale: it's just data. It doesn't get old or outdated--except by version, which the company is in control of. I'm not aware of any marketing effort for GURPS, so sales I assume are mostly organic, word of mouth, cross-product inserts, etc. So, I would argue that sale of a pdf has less to do with when it's released, than if the person want's it--even more so for a new player with so many options to choose from. If I want to play Action, I would shop for those, and could care less when it was published.

I had thought that I would try to get some friends that like D&D 5th to try DFRPG, but I'm finding the level of prep is still very GURPS-like despite a concerted effort by SJGames to make it otherwise. And if DFRPG isn't meant to be a D&D alternative, I guess I missed the point of it. I honestly thought that DFRPG was distancing itself from GURPS Dungeon Fantasy for that reason--less GURPS toolkit, more "grab it and game!"

It sounds like these upcoming pdfs aren't what I'm expecting anyway, sometimes, it's best to just play the game people want. Maybe DFRPG wasn't meant to compete with D&D, but I wanted it to. I believe that it could make an even better game, given a similar style and breadth of supporting content. Heck, even a GURPS bestiary of the d20 monsters and spells would be a solid start. I know some of that is scattered about online, but it's of variable quality, etc.
Radagan is offline   Reply With Quote