View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #17
tbone

Default Re: Pounce and Damage to Attacker

While I like DFRPG's easier slam rules, I think I'd still like to see properly-inflicted slams deliver less damage (especially to the slammer) and more knockback. (As it is, they're a sort of mutual punch, possibly with really high damage both ways if Move was high.)

But sticking to the topic of pouncing: I'm not even sure what the damage is from a pounce. If it's a pounce from a standing jump, does the distance jumped count as Move for damage purposes? If a pounce from above, how does the drop distance affect damage? (And, a side question about under-the-hood workings: What does that +4 TH represent? It's brought over from GURPS, of course, where it's the flying tackle bonus, which I thought represented an automatic AOA (Determined). Reading now, I see that's not the case; unless I'm missing something, in either game you can claim another +4 from AOA. Huh.)

Whatever the damage of a pounce, I like the idea – no doubt suggested by someone somewhere – of cutting damage to the pouncer as if it were a fall. Reduce damage by 2d (effective 5-yard fall) for an Acrobatics roll. Make that an automatic reduction of 2d, and halving of any remaining damage on a DX roll, if the pouncer has Catfall. (I'd let either of those rolls use Jumping if better, to keep with the whole pouncing theme.)

Or to make that even simpler: Give dedicated pouncers Catfall, and decree that it waives damage to the attacker for any reasonable pounce. Done!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote