Thread: More Imbuements
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 02:22 AM   #18
Mailanka

Default Re: More Imbuements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
How does the engineer not have control of the vehicle? Certainly, he doesn't control what direction the vehicle is going; but he very definitely has control of the engine. And it's in that capacity that he'd be Imbuing the vehicle with such things as better fuel efficiency or a higher top speed. Kirk doesn't ask Sulu for more speed, despite the fact that Sulu is the helmsman; he asks Scotty.
I've been tinkering with this for awhile as well, because I noticed something similar. The problem is this: Imbuements represent someone enhancing an item as they use it. The person who wields the weapon imbues it, not the weaponsmith. The person who wears the armor imbues it, not the armorsmith. The person who drives the vehicle imbues it, not the mechanic back at the shop.

But why couldn't an engineer imbue a vehicle, or a weapon, or armor? Why not MacGyver on a thing for a few minutes, hand it back to the person who is using it with new enhancements? Isn't the pretty much the whole point of Gadgeteer?

So I've been thinking of trying to find some way to combine the Imbuements system with Gadgeteer for awhile now, because I think they go together like peanut-butter and chocolate, but it's not really imbuements. An imbuement lets you turn a laser blast into a cone attack for a single shot by spending fatigue. It's like casting a spell. A gadgeteer tinkers with your laser for a second and then hands it back to you with the capacity to do fan-blasts, and that will last (at least until it breaks down). It's like enchanting an item. It might use a similar system, but I think it would be fundamentally different (You wouldn't require the imbuement advantage, gadgeteer would be enough, and you wouldn't use imbuement skills directly, but you might use them as inspiration. I think the imbuement advantage requirements might represent how difficult the modification would be)