View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Pre-human civilizations on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
One problem is that not only that technological species would have to be unknown. All of its other high intelligence relatives would as well. For humans, all other primates would have to be missing from the fossil record.
There really aren't any non-mammalian animals on par with primates other than cephalopods. And I don't think it's possible for purely aquatic creatures to progress past middle stone age.
Of course stone age soft bodied invertebrates could have evolved and disappeared from the oceans many times without leaving anything we would identify as proof.
For a pre-Mesozoic civilization, yes, your statement discards most scenarios. As bill pointed out, Corvids would challenge your statement, and that means some dinosaurs are valid candidates.

Radical modification of the basic primate form is in human's recent past, and while we've found fossil evidence of such things, its fairly incomplete, fairly recent, and we had a good idea of what were looking for. So a basic form could quickly change to something suited for technology without leaving many intermediate fossils.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote