View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 03:11 AM   #698
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Indeed, but it wasn't dominating the company's output and there was a much better selection of new GURPS stuff coming out in print. So much in fact that at the time I couldn't afford to buy it all on initial release, which is how I ended up without GURPS Space (by the time I went to buy it, the hardback print run had sold out).
GURPS Fourth Edition was still basically new in 2005. Events over the past decade should make it clear which way the market has shifted. Look at:

* D&D has advanced two editions since 2005, and WotC is keeping support minimal today.

* The Pathfinder RPG didn't even exist a decade ago. Paizo made a smart move when they saw an opportunity, and they've now got a much larger company than they did in 2005.

* Games like Ticket to Ride, Catan, and Munchkin have all seen dramatic spikes in sales and reach since 2005, with all three of them breaking into a much larger market.

* Asmodee, through a combination of funding and brilliant business choices, has taken advantage of the surge in hobby gaming to merge with Fantasy Flight Games, purchase Days of Wonder, acquire L5R and Spot It, and become a powerful force in the industry.

Things in the hobby game market are wildly different today than they were a decade ago. With RPGs at $25 million in 2014 and minis/boardgames at $125 million during the same period (http://icv2.com/articles/markets/vie...bs-880-million) is it a surprise that publishers have taken steps to survive in the current environment?
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote