View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Spaceship Weapons and Gravity Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
m.

I've been camping near crooked outhouses.
It's not the orientation of the floor that's in question. It's the net direction of gravity+acceleration and the way that affects liquids. Not the way it effects how the spacehands stand. The artifical gravity is only going in for human comfort (and possibly health). Making everyone apply a 5% "Kentucky windage" on all the hot coffee they pourfor soem reason I don't really understand is bizarre.

As for Spaceships and attitude thrusters, Spaceships is a simple, limited detail system for designing spaceships quickly. Attitude thrusters are one of those things that gets tossed into the mandatory "Control Room" which actually includes many things that aren't in the physical control room.

You'd have to go out of your way in Ve2 to include special extra engines for sideways thrust for dodging. At the ultra-realism level spitting out a hot reaction plume to your side while trying to change your motion would probably do more to tell your enemy where you actually are than the effect of changing your motion would disrupt his aim. Maybe you want to shut down your drives and use extra EW when you go into combat.

A question I have not heard answered yet about your artificial gravity discs is "What is their range?". Real gravity exerts a diminishing level of force over an unlimited range. Artifical gravity needs to exert a constant force over at least enough distance to go from floor to ceiling. Every inch farther than that is probably a disadvantage. If the artificial gravity has no range limits it's a very inconveniently infinte tractor beam rather than an artificial gravity system.