View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #53
Xplo

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Okay, let's see the expanded list of possible change categories. I'm not sure how to adjust the vocabulary to make them all fit:
  1. Making something more powerful for reasons of realism.
  2. Making something less powerful for reasons of realism.
  3. Making something more powerful for reasons of balance.
  4. Making something less powerful for reasons of balance.
  5. Making something more powerful for reasons of simplicity/playability.
  6. Making something less powerful for reasons of simplicity/playability.
  7. Making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of realism.
  8. I do not there is ever a point of making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of balance. I suppose something like getting rid of an exponential effect (buffing lows and nerfing highs of the same thing) might qualify, but that's two changes in one, IMHO.
  9. Making something different (but neither more nor less powerful) for reasons of simplicity/playability.
I thought that 'nerf' covers #2, #4, and #6, while 'buff' covers #1, #3 and #5. I don't think there are special words to distinguish #3 and #5 from #1, or to distinguish #4 and #6 from #2. If there are, what are they?
Things that are "nerfed" are indeed made weaker, so you could argue that it covers 2, 4, and 6, but defining "nerf" as "make weaker" leads to the ambiguity you lamented. Focusing on intent as well as outcome makes it clear. Likewise with "buff".

As for vocabulary, you've successfully described the variations using common English words, so I'd say you're already set. Admittedly, not all of those situations have single words that clearly describe them, which is a little inconvenient, but that's no reason to confuse matters by tacking extra definitions onto words that shouldn't have them.

As an aside, I don't find GNS confusing, but that's not a state I can readily impart to others. :)
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote