View Single Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 AM   #51
Poulpax

Default Re: Birthright to Gurps

Hi, this is my first post on this website. Please forgive any mistakes and mispellings in my posts as I'm not a native english speaker.

Well, I've actually run three Gurps Birthright campaigns. The first two ones with Gurps 3E, the last (and still running) with the 4E.

First one was a Vos campaign, and I did not use the regency rules (though my players felt their effects quite acutely!). It worked perfectly, as bloodlines are really easy to translate from one system to the other. The "harshness and survival " theme of vos campaigns worked perfectly well with the realistic and somewhat gory Gurps combat system. Magic was a bit harder : I created full religious "packs" for priests of every major Cerilian religion and devised full spell lists. Not so time consuming as it seems and worthy. Magic was a game of restrictions : Sorcerers are only allowed some of the colleges, but get a bonus Magery level with Illusions and Divinations. Full blooded mages get everything, but no bonuses. Heck, it worked !

Next campaign was the official adventure/campaign Giantdowns. Again, it was very nice. I had a blooded noble fighter character, a druid (oh so mighty with Gurps rules), an anuirean half-elf sorcerer/warrior and some extras like a goblin mage (yes, really). Great campaign overall, with mass battles, huge awnsheghs, politics and treasons. Again, the Gurps rules helped balance senarios, difficulty and differences between characters.

the third one is more ambitious and uses mainly the Havens of the Great Bay supplement, along with Abominations of Cerilia. Every player is a scion, none is a regent, but they all have the potential to get to rule a domain at the end. Three priests, a vos mage, and an awnshegh anuirean warrior at the table, facing the Hag, the Banshegh and many domain regents. I try to involve them more in the overall politic/religious/economic/magic affairs of the region.

I plan to do two other major campaigns : among Khinasis then in Anuire (as you would guess !)

So, I strongly encourage people to try it. It requires some work, but it's a very powerful combination : one of the best fantasy gaming worlds ever devised with the most realistic and heroic one.
Poulpax is offline   Reply With Quote