View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 01:42 AM   #48
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: Birthright to Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thona
That sould sound vastly familar to certain sect type of orgainzations, which basically focus on certain aspects. Nice.

I sort of like this approach. I am just not sure how well it transposes into a roleplaying game. As in: is this not so abstract that you basically more or less totally loose any real attachment to "real" things?
Well, player characters can use their own traits and/or spend some of their own personal Willpower and Essence (=magic juice) to influence the domain actions or do them entirely on their own. And it has rules for both "power brokers behind the scenes" and open rulers (as well as rules for struggles for control). And if they spend enough personal Willpower and Essence, they can decide to "zoom in" into any domain action and resolve it as a regular RPG story - success there can give a hefty bonus on the domain action.

But if you are talking about "real things" as "X men of quality Y with weapons of type Z" or "V amount of resource W and C gold pieces in the treasury", then no. The whole rule set takes up about 25 pages (not counting the basic rules for task resolution in the Core Rules), so there is simply no space for that kind of stuff - and wisely, the rules do not attempt to try.

On the other hand, this gives you an almost unlimited amount of flexibility. You can describe what you are doing in almost any way you want, and thus aren't artificially limited in what resources, types of government, etc. you can use. In fact, if you describe it really well, you can get extra dice for your attempts to resolve domain actions (the Exalted stunt rules)!

Quote:
It is like building domains et al as characters, and then using an abstract combat system between them. This I like.

OTOH it looks a little like - being really really really really abstract. This I do not like.
It is fairly abstract, but you can still visualize what is happening - in fact, the system strongly encourages you to do so. And in my view, that's not too abstract...

Quote:
I have to get my hands on it :-)
Do that. It certainly gives you ample things to think about...