View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #39
Tomsdad

Default Re: Question about Muscle-powered Range Weapons...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
THAT'S the tricky bit, but it can happen, like shown below where the hunters accidentally kill two deer when they only meant to kill one. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1rQpqIbBsU

(Also really nice example of how easy it is for a low ST person to use a hunting weight compound bow and still inflict enough damage to not just kill but also overpenetrate! In GURPS terms, that's a hit to the Vitals on the first deer, inflicting ~15+ HP of basic damage. Then, overpenetration to the second deer inflicting 5+ HP to the vitals.)
Cool (glad they found both though and as the chap says in hindsight he shouldn't have allowed the shot), I don't have sound at work did they state the weight of the deer?

Quote:
For extra damage from a CH applying to overpenetration, I was thinking of a double lung shot where the arrow basically pushes through air rather than meat for part of its track through the victim's body. That's an easy way to inflict a lot of damage on a living target while the projectile still maintains a lot of kinetic energy.
Maybe, TBH if were going to get into anatomy and overpenetration that's a can of worms anyway*. E.g lungs do contain air pockets but they have some substance, plus you have stuff like rib cages, intercostal muscles etc as well.

Of course the basic point is the human body is not homogenous when it comes to offering resistance to a penetrating object passing through it whether or no the tissues involved are deemed as vital by GURPS. As well as the torso not only being not homogenous when it comes to offering resistance, but often not of uniform thickness either. And that before we eve get into what is a HP.

Honestly overpenetration threshold = 1x HP is good enough IMO!

For me the fact that you get 3x injury for each point of penetration (and no overpentartin cap) is the system allowing you to inflict a lot of damage per penetration.

*and that before we get into comparative anatomy i,e deer vs. human not just in body layout once penetration has occurred but in likely angles of penetration!

Quote:
Similar to something I came up with back in the day, but a bit more realistic in terms of paying attention to actual draw weights. And, like my HR, superceded by the Strongbow perk.
Yeah it worked well (IMO) but it is an extra roll every round (and I also use on target at times so that can be an extra roll when aiming as well).