Thread: Banestorm 2015
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Banestorm 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
I've got nothing official, but generally-speaking, I don't expect a lot of official support for this setting. A lot of avowed GURPS fans don't like it for various reasons (though for the record, I do, and the ones who do like it tend to really like it, including the longest-running local GURPS group that I know, which has been playing the same Banestorm campaign since before it was called Banestorm), and it's easy enough to make up 10 more years of history if you want to.
Indeed, and those that dislike it in whole or in part often have very different reasons for doing so. I particularly like the use of the standard magic system and the in-setting Christianity with no clerical magic. I've seen various people criticize it over varying combinations of the above.

I in particular don't like the low-fantasy "World is mostly settled and explored" approach with minimal room for independant globetrotting dungeon delvers seeking loot for a living and slaying monsters for great justice. I still accept it for what it is, and there are a few nods dowards dungeonist gameplay in the forest, desert, and distant island places.

Probably my strongest critique of the GURPS Banestorm book for 4th Edition over GURPS Fantasy for 3rd is that modern English and Yrthian Anglish don't default to one another at Broken, when making the majority of Banestormed crusaders English and having their language derive therefrom was almost certainly based on the gamist notion of allowing English-speaking PCs transported to the setting to communicate in some fashion.

And having said that, it's still one of my favorite RPG settings (right behind TFT's Cidri and D&D 4e's Points of Light).