View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 AM   #69
Icelander

Default Fine (Accurate) Tactical Rifles

Does anyone know of real-world assault rifles, carbines or tactical rifles that legitimately rate Fine (Accurate) in GURPS terms?

That is, is the modifier realistically only appropriate for accurised sniper rifles* or can you get Acc 6 tactical rifles with barrels between 16" to 18.5"?

Are there any Acc 5 carbines, i.e. weapons with 10" to 15" barrels that are Fine (Accurate)?

I suspect that as an exercise in perverted ingenuity, such weapons might be custom made, but I don't know if the $1,200 to $1,800 cost that GURPS suggests they should have is realistic for such a custom weapon.

Are there any commercially available weapons that forumites think ought to rate Fine (Accurate) despite being fairly short-barrelled and handy?

I'm considering this both for future reference, in case our characters survive Jewell Island and our handlers at Onyx Rain don't decide to immure us in a worse place, and for Warden Tyrrell and his close cronies. If the guard force has purchases a lot of survivalist gear and three anti-material rifles, as well as a semi-automatic sharpshooter's rifle, it's plausible that Warden Tyrrell and his closest confidantes might have obtained some tacti-cool weapons in 5.56x45mm or 7.62x51mm.

Platforms that fit the backstory would be M16/AR-15 rifles and whatever the Coast Guard was using for a marksman role in the 80s and 90s, as Warden Tyrrell used these in his military service.

I'm considering some possibilities like drop-in parts for an M16A2 that make it Fine (Accurate) and reduce the barrel length down to 16"-18", if these modifications are ever compatible. Another possibility would be a commercial copy of the M14 Tactical or the Mk 14 EBR or a similar weapon, but if it is possible to get an Acc 6 rifle for less than $2,000, as the rules for Fine (Accurate) suggest, then that would be really attractive.

I don't want our characters shot with dangerous, high Acc rifles, but my hands are tied. As Assistant GM it is my unquestionable duty to consider ways that the guard force could present an even direr threat, as they have been established in setting as having spent considerable time and resources on preparing for an apocalyptic struggle with the lizard people and the shadow government.**

Then again, it is a Technothriller as much as it is a Supers game. Obviously the named villain and his henchmen need fancier hardware than the standard issue we got from ordinary guards and in a technothriller, I'd prefer if all that fancy hardware had model and brand names.

*Maybe having unforeseen drawbacks or costing much more than GURPS rules suggest if added to weapons that are usually mass produced in numbers like military assault rifles.
**Well, at least some of them have. Did I mention they are nuts? It's likely that their insanity comes in different flavours, though, but that won't affect the fact that someone has been buying survivalist stuff on behalf of the security company they ostansibly work for like The End is Nigh.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-28-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote