View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Icelander

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It wouldn't be the Marshalls in any event but the FBI has hordes of technicians and the best gear money can buy. They deploy with lots of stuff. They would also be the primary investigators for virtually any serious Federal crime.

If your APHIS Spec Ops team presented their credentials to me I would examine them closely and as soon as safely possible call them into the FBI as a suspected impersonators of Federal Agents.
And for a single computerised check of the ID numbers, they'd hold up for a day or two. Only a follow-up over the phone or reaching out to a specific Federal employee who'd follow up for you would reveal that the initial confirmation had been a glitch, probably a wrong ID number entered or something.

As far as our characters know, our handlers are not willing to tell the FBI anything about what they are doing. Impersonating an FBI agent is not something we can do. Impersonating an agent of one of several DHS agencies, however, appears to be possible. This, in itself, might be a clue to the identity of some of the people behind Onyx Rain. They don't have access to the FBI's servers, but they do for the servers accessible by the OIG of the DHS.

Now, I'm not saying that this means that my character suspects the Government Technology & Services Coalition (GTSC) of anything. But I've got my eye on you, Mr. Skinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'm sorry if this is supposed to be a running joke for the game or something but the people who track down hoof and mouth outbreaks don't have an armed Special Investigations unit.
Probably shouldn't be buying rifles, tactical vests, NVGs, suppressors and surveillance gear, then.

Pretty much any Federal agency in the US has acquired military-style weaponry and usually some form of armed reponse team over the last fifteen years. No bureaucrat is respected by his peers if he doesn't have a Special Reponse Team in his agency, no matter how little they need it. Library of Congress? Check. IRS? Super double check. Smithsonian Institute? Check.

Last edited by Icelander; 02-03-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote