Thread: Killing PCs
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
pestigor

Default Re: Killing PCs

Things like Dungeon Fantasy, Monster Hunters or Gurps Action which by their very nature tend to have high body counts. They also have pretty good templates which makes the somewhat long task of character generation in Gurps take a lot less time (A LOT LESS) so PC death can be more common.

On the other hand, If I spent a half an hour painstakingly creating a character from scratch and while pouring over optional rules only to have it die from dumb luck or random chance...I'd be pretty put out and not very likely to make another character with that amount of care again.

While none of this takes into account players not being invested in the game, the more effort and work it takes to make a character the less likely it should die for no real reason.
I'll not mention any names but there is a multi genre scifi fantasy game that came on the market over 20 years ago that had a character generation that took upwards of an hour. It also had a high attrition rate. After making my third character I walked away form that table and never looked back. (It was the way the GM ran that game with character death happening a lot and generation taking forever that made me walk away, the game is fine if that's your thing.)
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote