View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Mr_Sandman

Default Re: Hazards and speed of movement over bad terrain

Thanks for the replies.

It's a pulp-era adventure, set in the 1930s, so TL 6. I'll rule that one or more of them thought to bring a flashlight, although using them will make their approach more visible. None of them did much research on the island (looking up maps, etc.). They drove most of the day to get there, and then paid a local boater to ferry them out to it, so they don't have much else in the way of equipment. They do have a few charms prepared.

I'm perfectly fine with the ritual being successful, preferably with the PCs arriving just in time to witness the conclusion, and either stop it or fail to. Although I do want them to be in time to rescue the victim that the bad guy abducted as a sacrifice. That's mostly why I'd like them to waste a considerable amount of time mucking about in the marsh. I want it to be credible that the NPC was aware of them, and had time to complete the ritual. (A Doom ritual from Path/Book magic, so having them spend about an hour from when they are first spotted coming over on the boat would be perfect timing.) I'm also planning on having them delayed by some other distractions, a false lead that has them start off in the wrong direction, and an ambush by some zombies that the NPC controls.

Mostly I want them to get the feel that even though they are on a small island, it takes precious time to get anywhere, so every delay costs them. Also attempts to make up time by moving faster could save them time, but at a considerable cost of fatigue and possible injury, making it harder to battle the zombies when they meet them. But I want them to have the choice between safe and slow, or moving faster at greater risk, with the choice having real consequences.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote