View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 09:28 AM   #100
The Wyzard

Default Re: IQ rise and talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_seney View Post
Gargoyles start with ST 13 DX 11 IQ 8 with no spare points but he could start out knowing ALL the IQ 8 spells, or all but one plus Literacy Talent, and will have enough ST to use them a lot. 200 XP will get him up to IQ 10 and another 200 XP will boost DX to 12. At that point he can start using XP to buy IQ 9 and IQ 10 spells.

The drawback of a Gargoyle Wizard is that Staff II is an IQ 11 spell, so a Gargoyle can't get a Staff that has a Manna stat. OTOH a high ST Wizard whose skin stops 3 hits and punches for 2d damage could be a nasty surprise for someone.
Yeah, this is how I figured it. The character would be cut off from a lot of high-level wizardry, but still fun to play. They could get a ST Battery/Power Stone since a staff wouldn't do much for them.

And hey! You get claws that are the equivalent of a broadsword and (I think) you don't have to spend Talent points to use them. I'm not sure what they're like in HTH combat. You get basically "free" chainmail-equivalent armor. You move a little slower on the ground, but you can fly.

I think it'd be a fun character. Probably not mechanically optimal, but there's a lot of RP potential there.
The Wyzard is offline   Reply With Quote