Thread: Low-tech traps
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Varyon

Default Re: Low-tech traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I don't know of a list of traps in GURPS (although you could get some good idea looking at Pathfinder or D&D). However, to forget the lethality of a pit to a 7 foot deep pool of water. Given how few PCs put points in swimming and the difficulty of swimming in armor, drowning can be really nasty.
Only 7' deep would probably take a while to kill a human, since they can get air by jumping off the bottom (unless the fall was far enough their legs were crippled) and breathing in when their face breaches the surface. They'll still die once they become too exhausted to continue doing so, but the same is true of an unarmored character (which they'll probably become in relatively short order, taking off their armor between jumps) - eventually treading water tires you out, and down you go. A naked human - or one in a proper swimsuit - may be able (provided they know how) to float for a while on their back, but eventually they aren't going to be able to stay awake, and then *glub glub glub*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Falling damage turns impaling.
And gets halved (B430). Of course, as a spike is a Hard object, you just use straight falling damage, rather than doubling it.

Quote:
See above, but if there were multiple dice, I'd split amongst different random hit locations.
Personally, I'd figure out some way to work out how many spikes the character landed on (such as "1d spikes, multiply by 1.5 for SM+1, 0.7 for SM-1, etc"), assign hit locations to them randomly, then roll full damage and split it up evenly on a per-spike basis (or with an automated dice roller - or a player who just really likes rolling dice - roll for each hit, and divide damage by number of spikes). If not using hit locations, an armor multiplier equal to the number of spikes that hit would be appropriate (falling on more spikes can be better, as it spreads out the impact - this is how people are able to lay on beds of nails and the like without being skewered).

Quote:
Falling damage, but half is crushing, half cutting.
B430 suggests all cutting, but halved (as with the spike). It'll need to be a pretty hefty blade to avoid breaking, however!

Quote:
I'd halve the falling damage. And give the PC a DX or Skill roll to wedge something sideways as they fall, like a staff, shield, or weapon to avoid the wedgie at the bottom.
Sounds about right. I assume this is primarily for being able to capture rather than kill the target, so you may want the "cone" to start fairly high up so they don't get too injured by the fall.

Quote:
How compatible would this be with "normal" GURPS, rather than the DFRPG product?