View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
TippetsTX

Default Re: Attribute Bloat 'Re-Deux'

While it's true that the Legacy revisions don't actually set a 'hard' limit on character attributes, the extremely high XP costs do effectively cap progression by 40-points. Unfortunately, I'm not sure this addresses the core problem... scaling the difficulty in accomplishing in-game tasks or engaging in combat.

As attributes increase, typical die-rolls get easier which I think most of us agree is the real issue w/ attribute 'bloat', but as I alluded to earlier, this is essentially the same problem that high-level D&D characters have. It seems more pronounced in TFT (the classic ruleset), however, because most in-game challenges don't scale naturally to keep up w/ character advancement. The Legacy version attempts to resolve this by effectively capping characters to 40-points, but to me that seems like the equivalent of limiting a D&D character to 10th level.

And while I also agree that characters in this 'veteran' range are great to play, a robust game system should provide for reasonable options should players want to push into the more 'legendary' category for their characters.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-15-2019 at 08:13 AM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote