View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #6
whswhs

Default Re: Sexual Abilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Normal and more-or-less healthy sex might be harder to make relevant to a game. Luscious scenes in a book might be fun to read but are you really going to stop the game for the equiv of a ten page description? And how do you use the dice? And anyway you need a reason to do it that is more interesting then, "we kind of felt like it" if you wish to use it to move the plot along.
I have had a lot of campaigns with scenes of that sort. They play a variety of roles. They can be part of a "shore leave" session where the PCs are enjoying a bit of downtime between adventures, along with visiting bars or taverns, going shopping, or the like. They can be a "my day at work" scene, if the PC has the right occupation; in some cases they're comparable to the scenes at the start of Buffy episodes where Buffy is dusting a couple of routine vampires who are no real threat to her. They can be relationship-building. Or they can be plot drivers, when a PC gets involved with someone with baggage and gets in trouble by doing so.

As for how you use the dice, to start with, you can make a reaction roll to see if the person the PC approaches is interested; or an Influence roll to see if they can be persuaded (my usual practice is to allow any skill for the initial approach, but to require a Sex Appeal roll to get serious); or a search roll to locate someone who's interested. You can also roll against Erotic Art, or make a DX roll for basic sexual technique, to see if you're any good (or it might be a Per or Per-based roll to judge what pleases your partner). In one campaign I had a PC roll against HT, with successively increasing penalties, to see how many rounds he was good far—while the other players laughed and cheered him on, and made jokes about his having the Iron Head trait (which he actually did, but in a literal, combat-relevant sense, being a soccer hooligan).

All that isn't likely to take as long as running a serious fight, but it can be a source of entertainment.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote