View Single Post
Old 07-13-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Limpet mine damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
While I can see that a contact explosion should do a lot of damage, having it do the maximum possible strikes me as a bit extreme. It would certainly tend to make limpet mines into very scary weapons indeed (and inspire designs for Transhuman Space weapon systems consisting of medium-speed cybershells flying up to opponents and sticking limpet mines on them, because that's far deadlier than, umm, shooting someone with the same explosive shell). I tend to interpret that rule as being specific to characters heroically throwing themselves on top of a grenade and enclosing the entire blast to save their friends; the trick will only work if the charge is completely enclosed by the victim, and anyway, it's supposed to be a suicidally heroic gesture, damnit.
That's true, but it says "contact" rather than "well tamped between a human
body and the floor".

I'm not sure it's a valid to compare a limpet mine with an explosive shell. The manual placement lets you devote all resources to maximum damage in a fixed relative direction, while a shell has handle firing stresses and unknown angle of incidence. Isn't there a trick where you can give a satchel charge a metal backing to reflect some of the outward shockwave back into the target?

And I'd much rather be waylaid by cybershells that have to slow down and place a limpet mine on me so I can shoot them down, than to have one shower me with just the grenades at high speed from somewhere out of LOS, unable to return direct fire.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote