View Single Post
Old 07-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
tshiggins

Default Re: [After The End] More Equipment Quality Modifiers

A particular idea I've used successfully, in the past, is to give particularly large bits of equipment (especially vehicles) their own particular quirks.

For instance, in a GURPS Harn campaign I ran, for years, the PC's nifty new ship had a problem on the shakedown cruise, and highest spar broke on the aft mast and took down the upper sail. So, the PCs got a new one, and carried on.

At some point, later, the ship got into a storm and suffered some minor damage, so I ruled that the spar in the same location broke, again. The party got a little annoyed, but replaced it, again.

The third time that particular spar broke on their very expensive ship, they got really frustrated, so they docked and had a new spar created that was reinforced with iron bands. After that, their ship was instantly recognizable to anybody who saw it, because it was the ship with the iron spar.

I did that, in part, because I'd read a suggestion to give the vehicles owned by PCs their own particular quirks, as it made their ships or cars or spacecraft distinctive. That, in turn, made it easier for them to become emotionally invested, because it meant the PC's vehicles were unlike any other.

It really worked out well, because the group was quite proud of their ship, after that. :)
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote