View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #7
tanksoldier

Default Re: Self-imposed mental disadvantages and training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
How about a Delusion that you have a full Sense of Duty? ;-)
That actually isn't a bad way to look at it.

However, I think one point quirks aren't unrealistic: Proud, Chauvinistic, a one point SoD or Vow...

...but even those would be unusual. The number of people who sign up JUST for college money, because they got their girl pregnant (or got pregnant themselves) or because they have no other options is high. More than 50% of Regular Army Soldiers don't complete their entire initial enlistment. Some of that is due to injury or other honorable causes, some of it is discharge in lieu of court martial, some of it is somewhere in between. I know that in the late 90s the California Army Guard had a 100% turnover every 3 years... when you consider that that enlistments were for 6 years and the long-service troops weren't going anywhere that meant that first enlistment troops were making it an average of 2 years thru a 6 year enlistment. The recruiters had an entire breakdown but that's the gist of it.

Furthermore, I'd say it's more likely that negative disadvantages would accrue during service... many, many veterans are bitter about their service and treatment by the VA and others afterward.

Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-10-2018 at 08:16 PM.
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote