View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
Melkhior

Default Re: Interest in 3d printable track pieces for 'classic'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I think the banking's a bit greater, but, close enough.... :)
I'm cheating a bit to get the banking, and the process I use limits how high I can go. The track, grid, borders and the sort-of-grassy texture is a 2D image used as a height-map. So to get the banking, I simply lighten part of the image to "raise" the track. It works well, but the greyscale range of a PNG is only 0-255, so you can get accuracy OR range, but not both... but a 1/4" or 1/2" (as shown) raise works fine for a 2" wide track, I think. For a 4" wide track, getting enough height starts limiting the accuracy of the height-map.

A *very* unfortunate side-effect of that process is that OpenSCAD ends up eating memory like crazy. Creating the STL for that part requires 20+ gigabytes of memory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
Oh -- it's one of the tracks in _Car Wars Arenas_; which one should be obvious. :)
Silly me, and here I thought of a real-life track for some reason.

I haven't got Arenas. Back in the day, we used to draw & print tracks for our games rather than play on pre-defined. So we could make the tracks suit out style of play. Also, the Octagon was and still is awesome :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I will follow this thread with interest :) I like anything that involves playing with models.
3D printing is great for people like me - with no real-life modelling skills :-( Can't paint very well, either. I'll try and publish the pieces (& the code to semi-automate the creation) when the whole process is a bit less hackish than it is now.

Last edited by Melkhior; 01-26-2018 at 03:55 PM. Reason: comment on the banking height
Melkhior is offline   Reply With Quote