View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Howitzers on the Ogre Mk VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I think your analysis proves my conclusion: the Mk VII adds nothing to the actual game but tedium. It just crawls on and on, making a slow beeline towards its objective. The very nature of hexed-based play will begin to show its weaknesses, as you're going to run low on places to physically move units into range to shoot at it.

As for your idea for a Mk VII and supporting units vs. cruise missiles game, that displays the opposite problem: it's a scenario that relies almost entirely on luck. A couple good rolls by the defender, or poor rolls by the attacker, and the game is over. Without those lucky rolls, you return to tedium: move your force two hexes forward, roll to intercept cruise missiles, rinse, repeat.
I do like the idea of it being a legend, in the truest sense of the word. Stories whispered by terrified infantry, each retelling exaggerating the size, toughness, and firepower. Stories told and retold by PEF infantry huddled around a campfire, trying to spook the new recruits. Maybe some start talking about being the sole survivor of a unit that was in the wrong place at the wrong time and a field test came meandering through.

Just reading other posts in the thread as you guys try to describe what it is in analogy form..."Two Mk.Vs strapped to half a Fencer", that sounds like a pretty tall tale already. Give it a few degrees of separation thanks to 'whisper down the lane' and I could easily see forming the groundwork for a straight-up 21st-century Beowulf.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote