View Single Post
Old 09-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Templates -Breaking the Wall of Words

I Am Not a Programmer, but basically every option in a GURPS template has its price written in brackets, so the first thing I'd have an automated system do would be to separate things out using that - everything after one ] and up to and including the next ] would be made into its own line. Next have it look for lists - the form "n: " shows the start of a list, and so long as the next is "n+1: " it's part of the same list; if you have the next part after a period (.) not follow this form, that's the end of the list. For other parts where the player has a choice, I think they all start with "N points chosen from...", so set up to recognize that. Those are set off with a • symbol or a return (new line), so you should be able to use those to set your bounds there. Some of your traits are going to be in the form of "Animal Handling (any), Disguise (Animals), Hidden Lore (Elementals, Faeries, or Nature Spirits), and Weather Sense, all (A) IQ-1[1]", so you'll have to set it up to recognize and separate those out. Once everything is separated out into individual traits and the choices are configured correctly, you could rearrange them based on name for what category (combat, survival, etc) they fell under.

Sounds like a heckuva lot of work, and you probably wouldn't be able to share the results without violating SJGames' copyright. Once you have the program/script/whatever that can parse through existing tables, however, that might be shareable. It certainly would be useful to have.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote